What is NoFap?
NoFap hosts challenges in which participants abstain from pornography or masturbation for a period of time. This website is also a venue for open discussion of the NoFap experience and related issues. Whether your goal is casual participation in a NoFap week or monthly challenge as a test of self-control, or whether excessive masturbation or pornography has become a problem in your life and you want to quit for a longer period of time, you will find a supportive community and plenty of resources here.
The benefits listed here are based on the anecdotal reports of NoFap community members. They range from zero to life-changing. Individual results will vary; they are absolutely not guaranteed.
Abstaining from PMO (Porn, Masturbation, Orgasm) has often resulted in…
- Recovery from porn-induced sexual dysfunction. Many fapstronauts report that NoFap’s programs have cured erectile dysfunction and delayed ejaculation, along with other sexual issues.
- Increased self-control. Some fapstronauts do not feel like they have a pornography or masturbation problem. They are here to put their willpower to the test by facing their own instincts to pursue easy sexual arousal or indulge in certain sexual behaviors.
- More hard-drive space. Some of the larger porn collections we’ve heard about can take up terabytes of information. No more hoarding. Permanently deleting it will free up a lot of hard drive space. As an added bonus, you won’t be hesitant to let people borrow your computer anymore.
- More time. No more spending hours at the computer looking for that one video to get you off. That time can be better spent pursuing your passions, bettering your life, and spending time with friends or a significant other. The possibilities are endless.
- Improved attitude. Many nofappers described increased happiness throughout their lives, especially in their attitudes towards sex and interpersonal relationships.
The preceding was only a brief overview and we recommend that you browse through the various sections of the website to gain a fuller understanding on what you may have to gain by participating in a challenge.
Rules of the NoFap Challenge
Every NoFap challenge is unique. Why are you here? What are your goals? You should review the following options, make some decisions, and document them (either mentally or by posting a message on our website) before partaking in the NoFap challenge.
- No Masturbating: The majority of fapstronauts choose to abstain from masturbating to orgasm throughout the duration of their challenges.
- No Edging: “Fapping” may or may not include “edging,” which is physical stimulation without orgasm. Most fapstronauts do not allow it during a challenge; others do. Your call.
- No Porn: Most fapstronauts also choose to avoid deliberately viewing pornography. Some choose to allow one or the other (pornography or masturbation), depending on their individual goals. Many fapstronauts are here only to break away from pornography and continue masturbation. A few fapstronauts are here to cut down on their excessive masturbation and choose to allow the viewing of pornography. As previously stated, these decisions are entirely up to you and should be based on your goals.
- Hard Mode: Choose your difficulty level. It is up to you whether you would like to allow yourself to engage in sexual acts with another person or not. Allowing no outlet for sexual release is dubbed “hard mode”. But some people find the challenge easier without sex because it sometimes increases cravings afterward.
- Duration: How long would you like your challenge to last? A week? A month? Ninety days? This is up to you. If you wish to sign up for a monthly tracking competition, find a sign-up thread. If sign-up threads are closed, feel free to post in the daily tracking threads with your progress anyway.
- NoFap with friends: Post in the daily update threads, regardless of which challenge you’re participating in!
A Brief History of NoFap
In June 2011, a thread titled “TIL when men don’t masturbate for 7 days their testosterone levels increase by 45.7%” reached the front page of Today I Learned, a popular category on the social networking website Reddit. In response to this submission, many reddit users started discussing the “seven day no-ejaculation challenge” in numerous conversation threads throughout the website. Later in the day, username ohropax raised the idea of abstaining from masturbation as being the number one tool you could use to get motivated. The idea of a NoFap reddit website was sparked in the comment section of ohropax’s thread. After a significant amount of discussion, Alexander Rhodes founded NoFap on June 20, 2011.
The idea of abstaining from masturbation for a period of time existed on the internet since at least 2006 (and offline for hundreds of years!), well before NoFap existed. Various fapstinence events sprouted up on forums and image boards throughout the internet, which challenged participants to avoid masturbating for a month. The grassroots style of these events inspired the idea of creating a dedicated service which allows for scheduled programming throughout the year.
In the beginning, NoFap hosted monthly and weekly no-masturbation programs. Approximately sixty people participated in NoFap’s first event, No Fap July 2011. Although NoFap wasn’t originally intended to be a self-help community, people started showing up to find help and support for sexual health issues, and NoFap quickly evolved into a porn-recovery community. NoFap experienced impressive growth, garnering over 4,000 fapstronauts (our word for NoFap community members) by January 2012. The community developed its own terminology, making up words such as “fapstronaut,” “femstronaut” and “fapstinence”, and a subculture that rivals the most helpful communities on the internet. The first version of the off-reddit NoFap website was created in November 2012.
NoFap currently hosts one of the most active porn communities in the world and continues to grow every day. Its primary purpose is to help people develop healthier sexual habits, which will result in more fulfilling lives with improved interpersonal relationships.